Table 1: Content and curriculum coverage of each subject of SAT.
SAT Scoring System
Table 2: Table 2: SAT Scoring System.
SAT Reading Includes
In this section, there will be four individual passages and one passage pair, which means there will be about 10-12 questions for each passage/passage pair. At least one of the passages will have graphics, such as tables, graphs, and charts accompanying it. Each passage, or passage pair set, will be at about 500 to 750 words.
There will be at least one passage from each of the following topics:
- U.S. or world literature
- U.S. founding document or a text inspired by one
- Social science (such as economics, psychology, sociology, etc.)
- Science (Earth science, biology, chemistry, or physics)
Section 1-Reading: Skills Tested
- Command of Evidence (10 Questions)
- Words in Context (10 Questions)
- Analysis in History/Social Science and Science (32 Questions)
SAT Writing & Language Includes
Like the Reading section, all questions in the SAT Writing and Language are based on passages. This section contains four passages with 11 questions following each passage. Passages will cover either Career, Social Studies, Humanities, or Science:
- Major professional fields, such as medicine, technology, or business.
- Topics from history, anthropology, psychology, political science, or sociology.
- Humanities trends in literature, drama, art, music, or dance.
- Science passages will focus on Earth science, biology, chemistry, or physics.
Section 2- Writing & Language: Skills Tested
- Expression of Ideas (24 questions)
- Standard English Conventions (20 questions)
SAT Math Includes
SAT Math is divided into two sections, depending on whether or not a calculator is allowed. During the first section, when you cannot use a calculator, you’ll have 25 minutes to answer 15 multiple-choice questions and 5 grid-in questions. For the second section, when you can use a calculator, you’ll have 55 minutes to answer 30 multiple-choice questions and 8 grid-ins, including an Extended Thinking problem.
Section 3- Math: Skills Tested
- Problem Solving and Data Analysis (17 questions)
- Passport to Advanced Math (16 questions)
- Additional Topics in Math (6 questions)
- Heart of Algebra (19 questions)